Add some Aussie flavour to Easter with these delicious savoury vegemite and cheese hot cross buns that are so easy to make.
These cheesy vegemite savoury buns are really delicious for breakfast or anytime and are a nice twist on the traditional sweet bun. Slather more vegemite and cheese on the hot cross buns with lots of creamy butter. For an extra treat, add a slice of your favourite cheese along with more vegemite and toast under the griller or open on a sandwich press until the cheese melts. Yum!
Obviously, based on his Instagram photo below, we won’t be asking Tom Hanks for suggestions on how much vegemite to apply to the bun!
Photo above by Jasmine Waheed on Unsplash
Add some Aussie flavour to Easter with this best ever easy hot cross bun recipe for vegemite and cheese hot cross buns. It’s easy to make hot cross buns.
- 10g dried yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup vegemite
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 20g butter, melted
- 3½ cups flour, sifted
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 vegemite 145g Tube, for topping
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a large bowl and mix until yeast is dissolved. Add the eggs, Vegemite, sugar and butter and whisk to combine. Stir in the flour and cheese and mix until combined then knead for 5-8 minutes on a floured surface until the dough is smooth and springy. Place the dough into a clean bowl and cover. Set aside in a warm place to rise for approx. 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough (punch it down) then knead lightly. Divide into 12 even portions. Knead each lightly then stretch each ball out slightly and place ½ teaspoon Vegemite onto each and roughly knead through. Roll each into a smooth bun and place on a greased baking tray with a 1cm gap between them. Set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Beat together egg and water then brush over the buns. Using the Vegemite tube, squeeze crosses onto the buns.
- Bake in a hot oven 200°C for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bases are crisp and sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 727mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g