Thanks to Chef Lisa Mead for this easy double dark chocolate mud cake recipe which is the best chocolate mud cake recipe you’ll ever make.
There is no complicated mixing, just put everything in a large saucepan and heat while stirring for about five minutes. The recipe would be a good one for budding cooks who can help measure out the ingredients but may need help when near the stove.
Covered with a thick layer of chocolate ganache (chocolate icing made with chocolate) it looks wonderful and the pretty flowers will hide any baking faults.
About Chef Lisa Mead
Originally from Queensland, Chef Lisa Mead has been cooking in the galleys of luxury yachts and 5-star villas throughout the Caribbean and Mediterranean, for numerous celebrities and heads of states for the past 26 years. As the galleys often have a limited amount of working space and tools, her recipes always cater to the limited supply in a kitchen without lowering the quality of her beautiful dishes.
Simply, fine dining made easy!
Lisa offers tailored cooking workshops via Zoom for groups of 15 to 20 people and private cooking classes in a Brisbane commercial kitchen. All the details are on her website.
Easy Double Dark Chocolate Mud Cake
Garnish this delicious easy Double Chocolate Mud Cake with petit Easter eggs and edible flowers (Lisa has used marigolds and wattle leaves) for an Easter treat or enjoy it anytime of the year.
The coffee liqueur adds a rich flavour to the moist cake, and you’ll find it all hard to resist.
Tip: Add some chocolate coated coffee beans to the cake decoration for some extra crunch.
- 225g butter – unsalted, chopped
- 180g block, dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup coffee liqueur
- 3 tsp of instant coffee
- 1 3/4 cups of caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of plain sifted flour
- 1/4 cup of self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 180 g block of dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup of thickened cream
- Place butter, chocolate, milk, 1/2 cup of cold water, liqueur, coffee powder and sugar in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until smooth.
- Remove from heat; allow cooling for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 150 C/ 130 C – fan-forced.
- Grease a 6cm – deep, 22cm round (base) cake pan.
- Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Whisk flours, cocoa powder and eggs into the cooled chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out crumb-free.
- Cool in pan.
Dark chocolate ganache method
- Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on medium heat for 2 minutes or until smooth, stir with a metal spoon halfway through.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place cake on a plate and decorate with ganache, petit Easter eggs and edible flowers.
The best chocolate mud cake recipe and more
I hope you enjoy making this best chocolate mud cake recipe, but I am sure you will enjoy eating it even more!
If you love chocolate, try these other great chocolate recipes.