Budget busting dining deals, eating with owls, murder on the Rattler Express, new Granite Belt must-dos, dreamy getaways – it’s all in Feast on Brisbane #24, a carefully curated selection of the best food-focused experiences around.
TOP BRISBANE BITES YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS WEEK
Truffle season at Emporium
Emporium Hotel’s decadent restaurant Signature is bringing fresh produce to the plate with a mouth-watering truffle dinner menu from Wednesday to Saturday, July 1 to August 7. It is an indulgent seven-course degustation menu priced at $140 per person where truffles are featured in every course, fresh, pickled and infused. More about Signature.
Willowvale Cooking School reopens
Now located in Perseverance near Ravensbourne National Park, Bruno Loubet’s Willowvale Cooking School holds workshops ranging from classic French, baking, pastry to flexitarian. The next class is French Icons on July 3. All workshops end with a three-course lunch. More about Willowvale Cooking School.
Murder on the Rattler Express
Expect a rattling good murder mystery on Friday, August 13 when guests on the Mary Valley Rattler will need to uncover a murder most foul. Passengers are encouraged to dress for glitterati of 1920s Hollywood for the event, which will transport them back to Friday 13th, 1920. Everyone will receive a special name for the journey, along with event money to bribe or blackmail, and an ‘accusation form’ that they will use to smoke out the murderer. Bookings here. More about the Mary Valley Rattler.
Eating with owls
Have a hoot in the Awassi Cheesery orchard in Grantham and meet “BB” – the Boobok Owl, “Twilight” the Barn Owl, “Spike” the Australian Masked Owl and “Eclipse” the Barking Owl. You’ll dine on Awassi Lamb burgers, Awassi potatoes, Cheese Board and their new Awassi Sheep milk ice cream waffle cone. The dinner dates are July 10 and 24. Tickets are $69. Find out more here. Here’s how to do a Lockyer Valley road trip.
Banh Mi in Newstead
Keep watching for the opening of Banh Mi Factory’s Newstead hole in the wall. Your Vietnamese street food fix is coming on July 21. More info here.
BRISBANE’S TOP JUNE POCKET PLEASING FOOD DEALS – FEAST ON BRISBANE #24
- ZaZaTa is showcasing their new winter menu with two-course set lunch set for $42 on Fridays and Saturdays. It includes a glass of French Rose or Yallager lager. See more about their new menu here.
- Libertine Restaurant at Petrie Terrace has extended their long lunch deal with four courses for $39 per person from Thursday to Sunday.
- Get some open fire kitchen action at The Arsonist at Manly where there is a new weekday express lunch option. It’s two courses plus a beverage for $49, available Wednesday to Friday.
- Staying on the Sunshine Coast? XO at Sunshine Beach has introduced a lunchtime eight-course dining experience for $49 every Saturday and Sunday. Here’s more about Sunshine Beach dining.
Here are more June dining deals
Got a Brisbane food update to share? Tag @eatdrinkandbekerry
MasterChef has put a spotlight on Australia’s native ingredients in the Red Centre.
Plan your next escape
Granite Belt getaway
Head to the Granite Belt and don’t miss these new experiences –
- New highway stop – Vincenzo’s at the Big Apple reopens on July 1!
- Pop into Golden Grove Estate at Ballandean to check out their revamped cellar door with tasting platters.
- Experience a Heritage Estate Wines 5 Senses seven-course degustation dinner. They are held monthly.
Here is your Granite Belt food lover’s guide.
Great food-focused getaways
- One to watch – Spicers Retreats welcomes the iconic Hunter Valley Tower Estate Lodge and Winery property at Pokolbin to their portfolio. It is expected to reopen by June 2022 after a $6M refresh!
- MasterChef has put a spotlight on Australia’s native ingredients in the Red Centre. Two episodes on Monday 28 June and Tuesday 29 June see judges Andy Allen, Jock Zonfrillo and Melissa Leong task the final eight contestants to take inspiration from the outback. They must use a range of native ingredients in a service challenge beneath the stars at Bruce Munro’s Field of Light Uluru. It’s an elimination challenge with Rayleen Brown of Kungkas Can Cook at Simpsons Gap. Guests at Ayers Rock Resort can have a similar experience when they dine with us at Sounds of Silence or the more intimate dune-top experience at Tali Wiru. More about Tali Wiru.
- Nestled in the heart of the NGV, The Garden Restaurant and Tea Room has a menu inspired by the Melbourne Winter Masterpiece 2021 exhibition French Impressionism from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Executive Chef Andreas Gober has incorporated classic French dishes and techniques for diners in the Garden Restaurant overlooking the Grollo Equiset Garden. In the Tea Room, surrounded by galleries on the first floor, there is Braised Beef Cheek Bourguignon, Baked Clarines Cheese, French afternoon tea and cakes offer the perfect complement to your French Impressionism experience.
Find of the week
Try this for dinner – $12 of Taleggio, truffle and mushroom lasagne from The Stores Grocer where they will shave one flavour busting gram of fresh WA truffle over the top for $2.50. Totally worth it. Food lovers treat – watch them shaving the truffle.
WINTER HARVEST FESTIVAL TICKET GIVEAWAY – Event cancelled
I’ve got five double tickets to the amazing Scenic Rim Eat Local Week highlight event, the Winter Harvest Festival on July 3 – that’s this Saturday! Plenty of fresh country air and lots of premium local produce to love on the day which is held at Kalbar. It’s a one-hour drive from Brisbane to enjoy tasting plates, live music, celebrity chefs and a tractor pulling competition.
The double passes are valued at $20. If you would like one, please leave your name in the Friends of Eat drink and be Kerry post comments and I will do a random draw.
If you want your friends to win tickets, invite them to join Friends of Eat drink and be Kerry!
Feast on Brisbane #24 Recipe of the week
It’s school holidays so let’s keep it simple but delicious with this Easy Dark Chocolate Mud Cake.
What happened last week in Brisbane? Check Feast on Brisbane #23