When you need an easy dairy-free, vegan-friendly dessert in a hurry, these Choc Chip Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches will save your skin.
All you need to do is make the simple biscuits, buy your favourite ice cream filling and assemble. When you have multiple dietary preferences in the mix, this dessert will please everyone because there is a wide range of ice creams and substitutes that will do the job perfectly.
This story includes
Choc Chip Oat Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time 15 min, Serves 8
Make these Choc Chip Oat Cookie Sandwiches and enjoy a delicious summer dessert. Use the vegan alternatives or just include oat milk ice cream for a dairy-free dessert.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Dough
- 150g butter or vegan alternative
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg or vegan substitute with a flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 2 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tub Chocolate Chip Cookie ice cream or substitute Halo Top Cookies & Cream for an oat milk ice cream alternative *
*Halo Top Cookies & Cream has 400 calories or less, 20 grams of protein, and one third the amount of sugar per tub compared to regular ice creams.
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C.
- If you are using the egg substitute, make the flax egg by combining flax and water and sit for 5 mins.
- Beat the butter and sugars in a bowl with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, and vanilla, then fold in the flour, the baking powder, rolled oats and yummy chocolate chips.
- Take one tablespoon of mixture and form it into a ball, then flatten the dough slightly with the palm of your hand. Try to make all your balls the same size. Place the balls on a lined baking tray and bake for 15min. Allow the biscuits to cool completely because you don’t want to melt that ice cream.
- Once cooled, match the cookies in pairs of similar sizes.
To assemble the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Top one cookie, bottom side down, with a small scoop of Chocolate Chip Cookie ice cream and press side bottom side of another Choc Chip Oatmeal Cookie on top to sandwich together. The ice cream needs to be soft but firm, so take it out of the freezer a little before you start assembly and keep an eye on it.
The ice cream in the finished sandwich should be about three centimetres thick. You can roll the outside of the cookie in more choc chips if you want to!
You can serve them immediately in cool weather, but if it is hot, it is better to put them in the freezer on baking paper for one to two hours so they are really cold when they come out. That way they will hold together much better!