From selfies to sunsets, paddocks to plateaus, carrot patches to camel kisses, and alpaca picnics, here are the top Eat Local Week 2022 memory moments. Just an hour’s drive south west from Brisbane, the Scenic Rim is a food lover’s playground and Eat Local Week highlights the best of the best.
Eat Local Week 2022 Insider Guide to the Ultimate Moments
Scenic Rim Eat Local Week 2022 bites into the second decade of celebrations from June 25 to July 3 with over 125 events at 42 locations from Beaudesert to Beechmont, Kerry to Kalbar, and Mount Alford to Mount Tamborine. Famed around the country as one of the most authentic celebrations of local produce, the program includes an incredible line-up of long lunches, flavour-filled dinners, farm gates, degustations, culinary celebrations, food walks, tastings, tours and talks, masterclasses, workshops for all ages and more, including the Winter Harvest Festival on July 2. Simply put, Eat Local Week places food and its creators centre stage.
Daniel Groenberg Head Chef Kooroomba Vineyard and Lavender Farm IMAGE: Nigel Hallett
Eat Local Week 2022 ultimate moment checklist
VISIT A FARM GATE
Farm gates are the essence of Eat Local Week. Get your fill at Running Creek Beef, Tommerup’s Dairy Farm, Scenic Rim Farm Shop, and the famous Winter Harvest Festival!
TAKE CAMEL SELFIE
Cute, but beware because the Summer Land Camels also like to steal smooches! There are Sunrise, and daytime camel rides at Summer Land Camels on Saturday, 25 June.
POSE WITH AN ALPACA
Take the cutest selfie ever while on a picnic with your very own personal alpaca. The Alpaca Picnic in the Vines at Mountview Alpaca Farm, Saturday 25 June, is the perfect opportunity.
CUDDLE UP TO LAMBS, PIGS, GOATS & COWS
The Scenic Rim is home to the most adorable baby animals. Head to Towri Sheep Cheeses, Tommerup’s Dairy Farm, and Running Creek Beef to get up close and personal with these cute critters.
Check out the degustations and long lunches. Try and stop your jaw dropping from the flavours and colours at Eat Local Week 2022. This event is supported by serious food names, with the rollcall of 11 ambassador chefs the envy of the country – Alison Alexander (Queensland Food Fellow), Ash Martin (Spicers Hidden Vale), Dan Groneberg (Kooroomba Vineyard), Brenda Fawdon (Picnic Real Food Bar), Cameron Matthews, Caroline Jones (Three Girls Skipping), Glen Barratt (Wild Canary), Javier Codina (Moda), Josh Lopez (Monstera Group), Kate Raymont (Scenic Rim Farm Shop Café) and Richard Ousby, (Sixes & Sevens and Cru Bar).
These are the events you need to know about.
- KALBAR-BQ Long Lunch at Kalbar’s Showground’s Pavilion – Saturday, 25 June
- Jamming with the Lambs (Twilight) at Towri – Saturday 25 June
- Paddock Feast at Hazelwood Estate – Saturday 25 June
- Chef’s Table Dinner at The Copperhead Cafe – Saturday, 25 June
- Longest Lunch at O’Rielly’s Canungra Valley Vineyards – Sunday 26 June
- Pinot & Picnic Lunch at Binna Burra Lodge – Sunday 26 June
- Tapas at Sunset at Kooroomba Vineyard & Lavender Farm – Sunday 26 June
- City Chef x Blume Series at Blume Restaurant – 28 June – 1 July
- Frost & Fire Dinner Series at Mrs Frost’s Kitchen – Wednesday 29 June
- ’Saluit Allo Scenic Rim’ An Italian Feast at The Overflow Estate 1895 – Friday 1 July
- Star Light Dinner at Country Mile Escape – Saturday 2 July
- Christmas in July Dinner at Rainforest Restaurant – Saturday 2 July
Given the Scenic Rim produces 600 million carrots, you’ll find one that suits you! There’s the famous Kalfresh Carrot Day, and you’ll also find them on menus, in ice cream, beer, cakes, and more.
MEET THE PRODUCERS
The real stars of Eat Local Week are the award-winning producers, growers and flavour-makers, with the event providing the ultimate backstage pass to the farms, wineries, faces and food stories of the Scenic Rim, named by travel bible The Lonely Planet as one of the top 10 regions in the world to visit in 2022.
Meet your favourite chefs, authors, brewers, winemakers and flavour-creators where they live and work and share their secrets at these events –
- Meet the Producer BBQ Lunch at Picnic Real Food Bar – Sunday 26 June. Hosted by chef and eat local cookbooks Brenda Fawdon and graziers Rod and Debbie Richardson from Running Creek Beef.
- Brewery Experience at Scenic Rim Brewery – Thursday 30 June & 1 July. Hosted by brewer and owner Mike Webster.
- Meet the Winemaker at Witches Falls Winery – Friday 1 July
If you love big toys, The Kalbar & District Community Bank Tractor Pulling Competition at the Winter Harvest Festival for Eat Local Week 2022 on Saturday, July 2 is simply brilliant.
Tommerups Feast in the Field IMAGE: Christine Sharp
TASTINGS, TALKS, AND TOURS
Think Milk Stout featuring local sheep and cow milk, Carrot Beer, beetroot and carrot bread, beef and vegetable sausages, and Camel Milk Vodka. Where can you immerse yourself in these flavours and get to know the faces of this incredible region? Grab a seat at these events.
- Alpaca Picnic in the Vines at Mountview Alpaca Farm – Saturday, 25 June
- Scenic Rim Picnic Box at Picnic Real Food Bar – Saturday, 25 June
- Tamborine Mountain Distillery Tours – 25 June – 01 July
- Sunset Tales on the Deck at Scenic Rim Brewery – Saturday, 25 June
- Sunset Cocktails & Vodka Tasting at Summer Land Camels – Saturday, 25 June
- Macadamia Farm Tour & Bush Tucker Talks at Greenlee Farm – Monday 27 June
- Local Taste Discovery Tours at Boonah – Friday 1 July
- Food and Fashion – Vintage Parade at Wiss Emporium Kalbar – Friday 1 July
- Tasting Tables at Beaudesert Visitor Information Centre – Saturday 25 June
- Tastings at Rathlogan Olive Grove/ The Shed Café – Saturday 25 – 26 June & 2 – 3 July
- Tasting Tables at Canungra Visitor Information Centre – Saturday 25 June
- 1Brunch & Beer Banter at Scenic Rim Brewery – Saturday, 25 June
- Tour & Taste at Summer Land Camels – Saturday, 25 June
More about Eat Local Week 2022
Eat Local Week plays out against the natural beauty of the Scenic Rim. This is a region of more than 4,200 square kilometres of rich volcanic soil surrounded by ancient mountains. It is home to thousands of farmers and food creators. Whet your taste buds with the entrée events in June and out more about Eat Local Week here.
Things to do in the Scenic Rim
Touring the Scenic Rim is a favourite for me. Here are some of the ways I like to explore the region.
- Scenic Rim stays with fireplaces
- Pet friendly Scenic Rim stops
- Hosted Scenic Rim walks
- Weekend escape in the Scenic Rim
- Scenic Rim Farm Gate Tour