Your search is over! Walk through the field and take up close and personal perfect summer sunflower selfies on the Darling Downs. No more perching on the side of the road or climbing onto your car roof to get the perfect shot.
This story includes
Take sunflower selfies on the Darling Downs
Perfectly timed for Christmas holiday fun, Warraba Sunflowers at Cambooya will open their drone-planted fields from December 19 until early January 2023 for Summer Sun at Warraba. This ticketed event means sunflower selfie lovers don’t have to trample a farmer’s field to get the perfect shot. Instead, that perfect bucket list image is easier than ever to achieve.
Summer Sun at Warraba Sunflowers will be filled with fields of bright coloured sunflowers.
Summer Sun at Warraba
The team at Warraba have used agricultural drones to farm sunflowers with Drone Commander Chief Remote Pilot Roger Woods, placing great importance on using scientifically based, environmentally friendly farming methods.
“This crop was treated entirely with organic and environmentally friendly products. We used naturally derived fertilisers, and pests have been treated with beneficial insects only. Ladybirds were spread through the crop to combat pests like caterpillars and aphids,” said Roger.
How to take great sunflower selfies
- Dawn and dusk are great times to take photos of sunflowers, but the Warraba fields are not open at 4.30 am when the sun rises. Instead, aim for the golden hour around dusk and try for some sunburst through the flowers.
- Watch out for bees, so you don’t get stung, but also because they can make great close-up shots.
- Remember, the backdrop in the photo is important, so angle your camera to catch the best view.
- Try different perspectives – close-ups and wide angles. You can also kneel down amongst the flowers and shoot upwards.
Warraba Sunflowers is located at 439 McNallys Road, Cambooya near Toowoomba, with access via McNallys Road. This is about a two-hour drive from Brisbane and two and a half hours drive from the Gold Coast. It’s on from Monday, December 19 until early January 2023. This is a ticketed event. Visit Summer Sun at Warraba Sunflowers to book your spot. Visitors are welcome to bring pets, a picnic or just take sunflower selfies on the Darling Downs. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children (5 to 17). Children under five are free. You can also buy tickets at the gate using EFTPOS.
As well as seeing the bright yellow sunflowers blooming during Summer Sun at Warraba, visitors can pick their own sunflower to take home from a designated paddock as part of their ticket purchase.
Need to know
- The sunflowers are planted in a field that is a 400-metre walk from the parking area to view.
- The field where you can cut your sunflower is a further 200 to 300 metres.
- You need enclosed footwear to walk comfortably through the fields.
- If you want more than one sunflower included with your ticket, you will need to pay extra.
- The field is open from 7 am to 7 pm daily.
- Please tag Warraba Sunflowers in your social media posts – they love it!
Make it a day or a weekend trip. Enjoy a meal at the historic Bull and Barley Inn, Cambooya or Rudd’s Pub in Nobby. There are many hotels or bed and breakfast options in Toowoomba if you want to stay overnight.
Explore Southern Queensland Country as part of your journey!
Take a side trip and explore –
- Stop for lunch at Myrtille Bistro in Crows Nest
- Stay in the Bunya Mountains
- Stay in the Granite Belt