You don’t have to be female to appreciate a good bed, speedy check-in and attractive room décor but what more do women really want in a hotel?
New research shows it is the little things that count. The chance to replace those stockings for tomorrow’s important presentation with a ladder-free pair, fix the chipped nail polish and protect their skin with sunscreen without a fuss.
MGallery by Sofitel recently worked with global marketing research company, IPSOS, to conduct a global in-depth survey to understand guests’ habits and what they want to see and experience in hotels.
The survey found the feminine touches that women like in a hotel are fresh flowers, fragrance, quality bedding and materials, and attention to service detail.
More than 70 percent of women surveyed said they often forget to pack an essential item and don’t realise they’ve left it behind until they get to the hotel. This reminds me of Facebook posts where friends have packed their bag and forgot to include underpants! (I’m looking at you Kate!)
Another finding was that that 86 percent of female travellers wanted a hospitality program designed specifically for them.
Interestingly, eight out of 10 men surveyed also said that they were supportive of a female orientated hospitality program.
- 5 hotel essentials for women
- what do you really want in a hotel?
What women really want
- Hairdryer that works – If you have ever been stuck with one of those hairdryers that only pretends to blow hot air, you’ll understand this one. I always give full marks to hotels that provide a good hairdryer. Finding it when you are in a hurry is another thing. That’s a tick for you Pullman Brisbane Airport and Sofitel Darling Harbour.
- Good lighting in the bathroom for makeup and preferably a makeup mirror – I recently stayed in a room with a beautifully decorated marble bathroom, overhead shower, twin basins and luxury vanity sets but no makeup mirror.
- Space to put my things on the bathroom benches – Who travels with just a toothbrush? Because that is all the space on the bathroom vanity will hold in some hotels. Ah, the memories of the bathroom at Hyatt Regency Sydney and Banyan Tree Macau
- Pleasant aroma in the room – no cooking smells Some hotel rooms are to die for with a view overlooking a harbour and gorgeous décor, but this doesn’t trump the smell of breakfast cooking in the hotel wafting through the room at 6 am in the morning.
- Fluffy towels – Not too hard but I guess expensive to maintain, fluffy towels make for a luxurious stay. I particularly like it when there are face towels provided, with extra dark ones so I can wash the makeup off my face without guilt.
Inspired by her
As a result of the survey, MGallery by Sofitel established Inspired by Her which focuses on what women want when they are travelling. MGallery hotels offer emergency kits which include complimentary beauty items, makeup remover, nail polish remover, hair ties and pins, moisturizer, sunscreen, stockings and more.
Bridie Commerford, Vice President of Marketing, Communications and Guest Relations for AccorHotels Pacific said the Inspired by Her program is a direct result of listening to women.
“Over 80 percent of guests in our MGallery by Sofitel hotels in Australia are female, so it was important for us to bring in feminine touches to enrich the guest experience, and the Inspired by Her program certainly does that.”
What do you really want in a hotel?
So is a makeup mirror and good hairdryer important to you or is there something else you’d rather have? Do tell! There’s a comments section below.