What’s better than a delicious mouthful of creamy Mac and Cheese? Take a bite of Creamy Bacon Mac and Cheese and it wins every time!
On the comfort food ladder, Bacon Mac and Cheese sits right near the top. This American pasta dish will not win you any diet points but balance it with a nice salad, and you are not going too badly. This version has a creamy white cheese sauce and yummy bacon for extra flavour. There are also some additional flavour hacks at the end if you need them. You can use any small pasta if you don’t have macaroni on hand.
Bonus – this recipe from Harris Farm Markets is one that you can make well ahead. Keep it in the fridge for up to five days or freeze it. Thaw it before baking
Bacon Mac and Cheese
Preparation/cooking time: 45 mins
- 8 slices (180g) Bacon, cut into chunks
- 500g Macaroni
- 3 tbsp (50g) Butter
- 3 tbsp (50g) Flour
- 800 ml Milk
- Salt / pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp (60g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (Gruyere)
- 4 tbsp coarse breadcrumbs (Panko crumbs are ideal)
- Preheat the oven to180c.
- Cook macaroni as per pack instructions, then drain and set aside.
- Place a large saucepan onto the stovetop and heat to medium-high.
- Add the butter and bacon, then fry gently without colour.
- Remove with a slotted spoon once the bacon is cooked. Set aside.
- Add the flour using a whisk and cook for about one minute.
- Then slowly whisk in the milk and stir constantly until smooth. Otherwise, you’ll get lumps. Then bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened, whisking occasionally.
- Add the cheeses, season with salt and pepper and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the macaroni and stir everything until well combined. Then pour into a baking dish. Put the bacon on top and sprinkle breadcrumbs over.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden.
You can amp up the flavour by using one of these hacks –
- Add one teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the sauce for a delicious extra tang.
- Add a bay leaf when you add the milk
- Add two splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Add diced capsicum or shredded chicken
Thank you to Harris Farm Markets for this Bacon Mac and Cheese recipe.