Brisbane food update, watermelon cake, bacon pig out, Korean cooking, easy Xmas pud – Feast on Brisbane December 7. Keep watching Eat drink and be Kerry for lots of Christmas flavours. It’s going to be a great year to celebrate!
Got some quality food news that the culinary conscious need to know? Email email@example.com with the details.
Photo above: Join a Korean cooking class with Gary Mehigan.
Winston a Restaurant by Cameron Matthews at Wasabi, Noosa.
BRISBANE FOOD UPDATE – FEAST ON BRISBANE DECEMBER 7
- The amazing Cameron Matthews has launched Winston in Noosa (opening December 9). It follows on the popup by Alana Sapwell, Esmay, and once again fills the glorious ex-Wasabi space with joyful diners. Cameron has returned to his home on the Sunshine Coast after a stint in the Hunter Valley. He was one of the Spicer Group’s culinary stars for 11 years. The Winston dining experience is a set menu, with in-season extras, showcasing Matthew’s obsession with the best, freshest Sunshine Coast produce prepared with utmost attention to sight, taste and texture, perfectly matched by a small, hand-picked list of beverages from the best regions in the country. I first met Matthews at a Moo Moo cooking class many years ago. Winston is the result of years of dreaming and planning, the culmination of decades of experience and the full expression of Matthews’ food philosophy. It promises to be an incredible dining experience.
- Eat Street has reopened at Northshore with many of your favourite food vendors returning to a slightly smaller offering. Vendor numbers have been reduced to make way for more seating and plenty of live music acts. Open from 4pm on Friday and runs through the weekend.
- Fish Lane has updated with a new Asian eatery, Southside, from the folk behind Rick Shores on the Gold Coast. (Who doesn’t love their bug rolls?). Expect noodles, di sum and a share style menu
- Josh Lopez has closed his southside restaurant The Wolfe due to a family illness. With his lease ending in January, Josh decided to spend more time with his terminally ill father.
- Veteran Brisbane restauranteur Andy Georges has sold Mr & Mrs G Riverbar at Eagle Street Pier to Chris Higgins and Liam McMahon. Chris plans to turn the bar into Brisbane’s ultimate meeting spot for suits and it certainly has the views for that. Watch this space!
- Say goodbye to Siranni’s! A much-loved institution for Ascot Hamilton residents, Sirranni’s has been the go-to for 55 years. It’s been bought by the Hooper Group of Companies which owns IGAs.
YOU CAN MAKE A WATERMELON CAKE!
Hot December weather means Queensland’s watermelon season is in full swing, so it is the perfect time to make a watermelon cake. It’s an easy dessert that is suitable for a wide range of dietary preferences. I’ve included tips so you can amp the flavours up too!
BACONFEST PIG OUT
Coming from a year when all food festivals have been cancelled, it is heartening to hear that Kingaroy BaconFest will run on August 20 to 22 in 2021.
Celebrity chef Miguel Maestre will headline the festival. After such an extraordinary year, Miguel says he is as happy as a pig in mud to be visiting the South Burnett in August 2021.
“They say bacon is the duct tape of the food world, it fixes everything!” Mr Maestre said.
Pig farming is one of the South Burnett’s biggest industries and Kingaroy is home to the Swicker’s Bacon Factory, the largest pig processing plant in the southern hemisphere.
Next year’s BaconFest will include crowd favourites such as the Bacon and Local Produce Food Market, Wine and Swine, the Long Table Breakfast and live music from some of the best bands in South East Queensland.
Here are some bacon recipes to keep you going until then.
KIMCHI LOVERS BONUS
Join a culinary tour through South Korea with celebrity chef Gary Mehigan cooking some of the destination’s local specialities and inspiring viewers with tales of his trip on December 16 at 5.30 pm.
The virtual cooking class will showcase dishes Mehigan enjoyed in South Korea with a unique twist on traditional recipes. There will be stories from his trip and answers to questions from viewers.
CHRISTMAS DAY DINING SORTED YET?
I’ve scoured Brisbane’s restaurants and found 21 places where you can let someone else to the work on Christmas Day. Enjoy!
PRESENT LIST TICKED?
You may end up just buying these food-inspired presents for yourself because this list is full must-have gifts for the food-obsessed. Best of all, they can all be delivered!
RECIPE OF THE WEEK – FEAST ON BRISBANE DECEMBER 6
Keep it simple with these tips and tricks to make a moist easy Christmas pudding recipe in one hour. It gets even easier when you steam in a slow heat cooker.
The best Christmas recipes are ones like this that have been handed down through generations and finessed over many years.
Next Feast on Brisbane edition December 7
Previous editions – Feast on Brisbane November 23 Feast on Brisbane November 16, Feast on Brisbane November 9, Feast on Brisbane November 2, Feast on Brisbane October 26 Feast on Brisbane October 19, Feast on Brisbane October 12 Feast on Brisbane October 6 Feast on Brisbane September 28, Feast on Brisbane September 21 Feast on Brisbane September 14, Feast on Brisbane September 7, Feast on Brisbane August 30.